ABOUT THIS BLOG

This blog contains the literature reviews, political rants, and literary doings of Steven Wittenberg Gordon, the Editor-in-Chief of Songs of Eretz Poetry Review.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Review of Tai Chi by Master Lam Kam Chuen

I had the pleasure of reading Step-By-Step Tai Chi--The Natural Way to Strength and Health by Master Lam Kam Chuen (Gaia Books, 1994), meticulously illustrated by Gordon Munro.  While I have read the entire 143-page book, I have only just begun to master the most basic level (there are three) of the fundamental movements (there are eighteen).  [As a side note, I find it interesting and not coincidental that there are eighteen fundamental movements of Tai Chi Chuan.  "Chi" is the life force of eastern philosophy and medicine.  "Chi" (pronounced "khai") means "life" in Hebrew, and eighteen is the numerological value of the Hebrew word.]

I learned from Master Lam that Tai Chi is all about balance, harmony, patience, acceptance, and relaxation.  The symbol of Tai Chi Chuan is the familiar yin-yang circle.  It takes years to master the fluid movements of this martial art.  [I should say "movement"--singular--as a Tai Chi form, though it may contain many twists and turns, is considered to be a single, flowing movement.  How lovely!]  However, I am encouraged by the fact that if I consistently practice, I will experience great health benefits, even if I am physically and mentally unable to progress beyond the lowest fundamental level.

Note above that I refer to mastering the art "mentally."  Master Lam sees Tai Chi as "moving meditation" and "moving harmony."  Tai Chi requires mental discipline, concentration, imagination, and inner peace.  Mastering the physical movement of Tai Chi will only take the student so far.

As a physician, the potential health benefits of Tai Chi are certainly of interest--for my patients and for me personally.  In the midst of the current health care "crisis" of chronic pain and opioid addiction, even allopaths (medical doctors, MDs) have been taking a serious look at physical modalities for the treatment of chronic pain, with physical therapy, Pilates, yoga, and Tai Chi showing promising results in the reduction of pain and the reduction of the reliance upon addictive allopathic remedies (chemicals or drugs).  Master Lam claims that, in addition to reducing pain that results from arthritis and other musculoskeletal disorders, the regular practice of Tai Chi can lower blood pressure, improve balance and reduce the risk of falling (particularly important in the elderly), reduce stress, and improve asthma.

Will I ever achieve the "rooted," centered, peace and moving harmony of a Tai Chi Master?  Will my limbs grow lithe and strong, not bulky as a weightlifter's might be, but like powerful coiled springs?  Will my aches and pains be reduced or disappear?  Will my blood pressure drop and my breathing improve?  All of this remains to be seen.  However, even at this early stage, I have noticed an improvement in my balance and posture and a modest reduction in aches, pains, and stress.  So, we'll see...